In-House Support Services Public Authority of Orange County
Sitemap Link
Frequently Asked Questions Link
Orange County Home Page Link
Top of house
About Us | Advisory Committee | Registry | Provider Orientation | Contact Us | Resources | Jobs
cirle with I in the middle IHSS Information
  What is IHSS
  Who is Eligible
  What is Financial Need
  How to Apply
  What is a Needs Assessment
  What Services are Available
  Who Provides the Services
Circle with a person in the middle Resources
  Union Information
  AB1682 (pdf format)
  Dayle McIntosh Center
  Orange County Office on Aging
  Orange Caregiver Resource Center
  South County Senior Services
  Administration on Aging
  Aging Network of CA
  Emergency and Disaster Preparedness Workshop (Video)
corner shadow
corner shadow
IHSS Information
house door There are aged, blind, or disabled persons who are limited in their ability to care for themselves and cannot live safely at home without help. This includes those who would be able, with help, to return to their home from a hospital, nursing home, or a board and care home. This help may be provided to eligible low income persons through the In-Home Supportive Services Program.
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for the program, a person must meet all of the following conditions:
  • Must be disabled, blind, or age 65 or older.
  • Must be unable to live safety at home without help.
  • Must meet financial need requirement.
What Is Financial Need?
Persons who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI/SSP) automatically meet the program's financial need requirement. Person's who have income higher than the limits for SSI/SSP may still be eligible, but they may be required to pay for part of the services they receive. In addition to the monthly income limits, there are also limits on the amount of resources that a person can own and still receive these benefits. Resources include items such as savings, investments, and certain types of property and personal possessions. There are exceptions that apply; not all income and resources must be counted. A social worker will review your situation.
How To Apply?
To apply for In-Home Supportive Services call:

County of Orange
Social Services Agency
(714) 825-3000
A social worker will talk to you about what you may need and determine what costs, if any, you may need to pay for the services. A social worker will visit your home and conduct a needs assessment.
What Is A Needs Assessment?
Using guidelines developed by the California Department of Social Services, a social worker makes an assessment of what your need for in-home care is based on your medical condition, your living arrangement, and what assistance you may be getting from your family, friends, or available community services. The needs assessment will determine which services are authorized. Your doctor may be consulted about your medical condition.
What Services Are Available?
In-Home Supportive Services includes a wide range of services to meet individual need and assure you can live safety at home. These services may include:
  • Domestic services, such as house cleaning, shopping, cooking, and laundry.
  • Personal services, such as bathing and dressing.
  • Paramedical services, such as changing bandages or tube feeding.
Who Provides The Services?
In Orange County you will hire and supervise your own provider. Your social worker will authorize the types of services provided and the hours of services provided using the needs assessment. Your provider will be paid directly by the State of California. Your social worker may be able to assist you in locating a provider, if you do not have one.