Title: Public Relations/Community Outreach Internship (unpaid internship)
Bilingual skills preferred (English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese)
Name and Location of Agency/Department Requesting Intern:
Orange County District Attorney’s Office
Government and Community Relations (GCR) Unit
401 Civic Center Drive West, 10th Floor
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Functions of Agency/Department:
The Office of the District Attorney is the largest law firm based in Orange County. The office represents the People of the State of California in some civil and in all criminal proceedings, and serves the court and criminal justice system, children in need of financial support, and the Orange County Grand Jury. The department’s mission is to enhance public safety and welfare and create a sense of security in the community through the vigorous enforcement of criminal and civil laws in a just, honest, efficient and ethical manner.
The office’s GCR Unit is an education and outreach unit that focuses on fostering a better understanding of the criminal justice system, increasing participation with investigators/prosecutors and increasing use and awareness of victim/witness assistance programs. The program targets the Hispanic, Vietnamese and Korean immigrant communities. In addition, the GCR Unit also maintains an ongoing working relation with local government and law enforcement agencies.
Interns will assist GCR Unit staff with daily operations and projects that utilize individual skills to enhance the overall program. Additional intern responsibilities include:
Assistance with and participation in community outreach events
- Facilitation and organization of committee meetings
- Assistance with research projects utilizing library resources and the Internet
- Attendance at program meetings
- Completion of assignments that require faxing, photocopying, typing, etc.
- Offer ideas, insight and suggestions for community educational outreach activities
Students or recent graduates enrolled in or graduated from an accredited college or university with a major in Marketing, Media Relations, Public Relations, Communications, Criminal Justice, Political Science or related fields.
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with diverse populations
- Willingness to be a team player
- Bilingual skills preferred (English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese)
- Ability to work independently, a self-starter
Ten hours per week for one semester or two quarters. Hours must be scheduled in three- to five-hour blocks of time Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Some weekend hours may be required. Summer internships are available.
Benefits Available to Intern:
Although this is an unpaid internship, students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
Work side-by-side with local officials, politicians and key community members.
- Gain valuable experience in the areas of community outreach and public relations.
- Assist with a television and radio media campaign.
An interview and complete background investigation will be required prior to student placement. The background check can take up to three weeks to process.