Position Title: Health Care Agency Community Outreach Volunteer
Minimum Age: 18 years of age or older
Name and Location of Agency/Department Requesting Volunteer:
Health Care Agency – Behavioral Health Services
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services (ADAS)
Risk Reduction, Education & Community Health (REACH) Program
Santa Ana, CA 92706
Functions of Agency/Department:
ADAS provides a range of outpatient and residential treatment programs designed to reduce or eliminate the abuse of alcohol and other drugs within the community.
The REACH Program provides HIV/AIDS education and outreach to the community, including street outreach to substance users who are not in treatment and who are at high risk for contracting and transmitting HIV, TB, and other communicable diseases.
REACH offers the following educational workshops and community outreach:
- Communicable Disease Prevention
- Life Skills Development Workshops
- Drug Treatment Linkage
- Court Ordered HIV Education and Testing
- Case Management
- Client Advocacy
For more information, please visit our website at http://ochealthinfo.com/behavioral/adas/index.htm
Volunteers may be involved in one or more of the following activities:
- Prepare essential support material for prevention and outreach efforts
- Work with the education team as a peer educator to conduct workshops
- Assist in conducting outreach events
- Conduct interviews and surveys
- Assist in developing and conducting special projects
- Participate in focus groups
- Provide staff support with administrative duties such as filing, photocopying, etc.
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Computer literate
- Bilingual skills are a plus (Spanish/English)
- Basic HIV knowledge
- Must demonstrate ability to work with others from different backgrounds and life styles such as gay, lesbian, and transgender individuals
- Must be able to interact with high-risk and HIV positive individuals
- Must be consistent and adhere to committed work schedule
Minimum three hours per week for three or more months. Hours must be scheduled during regular business hours (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.).
Benefits of Volunteering:
Volunteers are offered an excellent opportunity to gain valuable work experience and explore career options while serving their community. They will interact with professionals and become part of a team that is dedicated to making a positive difference in Orange County.
Driving to community events may be required; therefore, volunteers must have a valid driver’s license. Mileage reimbursement is available.