- Official seal of the County of Orange -

















   County of Orange, Partnering with our Community
County of Orange,  History Navigation Bar

 

Orange County's Home Page Orange County's Search Civic Center Directory & Map Links and General Information Contact Us
 

Ranchos and Missions

Diego Sepulveda Adobe

     At the corner of Adams and Mesa Verde Drive in Costa Mesa stands the home of the Diego Sepulveda family. This beautifully restored adobe was originally constructed in 1823. It served for many years as a station for the herdsmen of the Capistrano Mission. The location of the adobe offers a commanding view of the "mesa"(coastal plateau) and surrounding communities. Authentically refurbished rooms help the guests relive life as it was during the rancho era of early California. The adobe is surrounded by a small community park where playground equipment, picnic facilities and restrooms are provided. For information of tours and hours of business call (714) 754-5105.

Yorba Cemetery

     Orange County's first Spanish colonial was San Antonio Yorba. Yorba arrived in 1769 with the famed Portola Expedition. He returned in 1801 and set up a homestead on the banks of the Santa Ana River. In 1834, the governor of California granted an approximately 14,000-acre ranch to Jose Antonio's son, Bernardo. The family was known for their affluence and hospitality. Unfortunately, during the 1920s the beautiful Yorba hacienda and attendant family chapel were demolished. Today the family cemetery is cared for by the County of Orange as the final resting place of Bernardo Yorba and many other early colonials. For additional informtaion regarding the facilities located at the park, call (714) 567-6206.

Ramon Peralta Adobe

     This adobe is the only such structure from the era of the Spanish and Mexico land grants still surviving in the Santa Ana Canyon area. Built in 1871 at what was then known as the town of Peralta, the fledgling community consisted of nine such adobes, a combination saloon and pottery shop, and a school. In 1920, the Peralta Adobe was converted into a roadside restaurant and gas station, and, for the next four decades, catered to the increasing motor traffic between Riverside and Orange County on the newly paved Santa Ana Canyon Road. The County acquired the property in 1977 and had the structure restored as a historic site. The Peralta Adobe is located at the corner of Fairmont Avenue and Santa Ana Canyon Road in Anaheim Hills. For more information call (714) 921-2730.

Contact Us  | OC Home | BOS Home